July 8, 2012

Swedish Flat Bread - Polar Bread




I'm so happy and excited today!! I found a great bread recipe and of course I have to share it with you! In Sweden we call this bread "Polar Bread" and I would say it's somewhat similar to a flat bread. I was surprised how easy and quick it was to make it, even though it's a yest based bread. The texture of the Polar Bread is soft, a little chewy and has a mild rye flavour. This is a keeper recipe and a new favourite of mine! I'll bet your kids will like it too. Make a batch, store in the freezer and you can easily heat it up in your toaster for a quick and healthy breakfast. I prefer to eat my Polar Breads with a mild cheeze/cream cheese and cucumber.





Polar Bread, 20 flat breads
50 grams butter
5 dl water (500ml)
50 grams of fresh yeast, or 1 tbslp dry yeast
3 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp salt
5 dl rye flour (500ml)
11 dl wheat flour (500ml)

Melt butter, add water and warm until 37 degrees C, is using fresh yeast, about 45 degrees or little more, if using dry yeast. Pour the liquid into a bowl, add yeast, and let it dissolve. Add golden syrup and salt and stir. Add most of the flour and work the dough until smooth and a little shiny. By hand, about 20 minutes. The dough should not stick to the edges of your bowl when you've worked it enough. Sprinkle some flour on top, cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside and let it rise to double the size, about 30 minutes.

Heat oven at 275 degrees C. Place oven paper on several baking plates. Divide the dough into 20 pieces. Form to round balls and then use a rolling pin to flatten your breads on a floured baking table. Prick your Polar Breads using a fork and place onto baking plates. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for about 10 minutes.

Bake in the middle of your oven for about 3-5 minutes. Let them cool on a rack, covered with a kitchen-towel.

Don't forget to join My Sweet Party with your Favourite Pie!

ENJOY!


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I need to get some golden syrup. I've found too many recipe I want to make that use it. Including this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! I think you can use basically any light syrup, like corn syrup and it will taste similar:-)

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I like flat bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, always cute with bows for decoration :D And I (still) have those plates! I feel like I have the same stuff as a star blogger ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wouldn't call myself a star blogger but thanks;-) I love those plates too! Ikea is the best;-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna