June 6, 2012

Lemon and Rosemary Cake



Today it is The National Day of Sweden!! Hurray for Sweden and all my Swedish readers!! We've only had a National Day since 1983, before that this day was known as Swedish Flag Day. In other words, our National Day is fairly new.

How about celebrating this wonderful day with a mouth watering, zingy and flavourful, Lemon and Rosemary Cake? After you've let the cake cool it's drenched with a thin lemon and rosemary syrup and this is the key to this very moist and wonderful summery cake.

It feels like I've been baking quite a lot of lemony things lately...but I just can't help myself, lemon is soooo tasty and goes so well with all kinds of sweet things, don't you agree?





Don't forget to link up your contribution to My Sweet Party . The theme this month is Summer Fruits.


Lemon and Rosemary Cake, 15 pcs
225 grams butter, room temperature
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
2 1/2 dl sugar (250ml)
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1 pinch of salt
3 eggs
2 1/2 dl flour (250ml)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 dl sour cream (250ml)

Syrup
1 1/4 dl lemon juice (from 2 lemons) (125ml)
1 1/4 dl water (125ml)
2 1/2 dl sugar (250ml)
2 sprigs of rosemary


Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C.

Grease a baking tin (16 x 26cm) or place parchment paper to fit. Whip butter, lemon zest, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt until white and fluffy. Continue whipping and add one egg at a time.

Carefully add the flour combined with the baking powder and the sour cream. Whisk the batter until smooth. Pour batter into baking tin and bake for about 35 minutes until golden or until an inserted stick in the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Syrup:
In a small saucepan, add all ingredients for the syrup, gently heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes until the syrup thickens a little bit.

Pierce small holes in the cake with a toothpick or similar and pour syrup over while warm. Serve like it is or with whipped cream.

This is my contribution for Månadens Sötsak at the Swedish blog Söta Saker. Jag är med och tävlar om en rabattkod hos Groupon. This is also my contribution for  Foodie Friday.




ENJOY!

This is my contribution to Foodie Friday and Sweets for Saturday.


Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. MMM… that looks so good! I'm Swedish too… Well 100% Scandinavian, 25% Swedish. But still ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay, good for us, finally having a national day :D :D And what a wonderful cake you're tempting us with! <3 I understand your use of lemon - it's one of the absolute best tastes there is, especially in anything baked :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was delish;-) I definately got a thing for lemon at the moment, maybe because it's getting warmer now?!:-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful cake! Love the combo of lemon and rosemary! So aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I love the combination of rosemary and lemon too.

    Stay in the Lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon is awesome, I definitely agree. It's so refreshing and goes with anything (especially a sweet cup of strong tea!) Loving that you've used rosemary too, I would never have thought to add that little touch. Rosemary is so fragrant so I bet that it was a perfect add.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cake :) I need to make this - intrigued about the combo. Sounds fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful - I love lemon and rosemary together, and love the idea of combining these flavors in a cake! Sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna