May 23, 2012

Lemon Brownies


If you like lemony things, then this recipe is a keeper! These lemon brownies have the perfect balance between lemon and sugar, not too sweet and not too zingy. They are moist, fresh and perfect this time of year. Another great thing about these little sweets is that they are equally delicious they day after. So, if you want to prepare a treat in advance, these squares are suitable for the occasion. They were highly appreciated on my picnic:-)

Lemon Brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice

Lemon Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease an 8-by-8-inch (20cm) baking dish.

Zest and juice a lemon, set aside.

Add flour, sugar, salt and softened butter to a bowl and beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, lemon zest and lemon juice. pour into the flour mixture and beat until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.

Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden around edges and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before glazing.

When brownies are cooled completely, make the glaze by whisking together all three ingredients. Spread over the brownies with a rubber spatula, cut into bars, and serve! I had some lemon zest left which I sprinkled on top of the glaze.



Have you submitted a contribution to my first My Sweet Party ? The theme of my first party is chocolate and I would love you to join!

ENJOY!
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. I L.O.V.E. lemon, it's so refreshing and perfect with a good old brew. These look so heavenly. These are definitely going on my to-do list for sure!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm sure you wont be disappointed when you take your first bite of these little goodies:-)

      Delete
  2. Sweet and tangy is a great combo! I like baked goodies with lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous recipe! I have never seen lemon brownies before - the look fab! Naww now I want brownies :( lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen lemon brownies before this recipe either, and it's a new favourite now:-)

      Delete
  4. crazy for chocolate? please fall down in to the hole leading to my chocolate world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vilka härliga! Jag är inte så mycket för chokladkakor så jag kan tänka mig att dessa är min typ av brownie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these! They were FABULOUS! Definitely a keeper recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you liked them!! I LOVE them and definately going to make them again:-)

      Delete
  7. This sounds and looks AWESOME; Thank you, thank you for showing me your fantastic blog <3 I have to try this, I'm a sucker for anything with lemon - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS sweetie! If you like lemon, this is a must try!:-9 Let me know what you thought about it if you bake it:-)

      Delete
  8. I LOVE lemon so I'll have to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna