March 28, 2012

English Scones




When in England, eat like the English:-). And what can be more English than, English Scones? I've baked these traditional English Scones, best served warm and freshly baked. Enjoy with homemade marmalade (or be lazy like me, and buy a nice one) and clotted cream.

If you like me, prefer a healthier scone you can replace 1,5 dl of the flour to oats instead. It will be equally delicious, I promise:-)






English Scones, 6 pcs
4 dl flour (2,5 dl flour and 1.5 dl oats)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
50 grams butter, room-temperature
1 1/2 dl milk
2 tbsp milk for brushing the scones


Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees C.

Combine the dry ingredients, add the butter and crumble it together. Add the milk and knead to a smooth dough.

Divide the dough into 6 parts and shape each dough to a small round ball.

Place the scones onto an oven papered baking plate. Brush with milk.

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden.

I've joined a new link up party; Breakfast Ideas Mondays. Make sure to visit for some great breakfast ideas.



Enjoy!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I really want to make this but I have a few questions:

    1) When you used oats, did you blend it into flour first? Would old fashioned/rolled oats be okay? And if so, do you think they need to be soaked first (in say, the milk) to soften?

    2) How much milk goes into the recipe? (cups?)

    Looking forward to your reply. This recipe looks so easy and I can't wait to make it!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie,

      I'm glad you like the recipe and yes it's super easy and you'll have freshly baked scones with very little effort. I used porridge oats when baking these scones, but I'm sure you can use rolled oats too, it gives the scones a little bit more texture. If you need less texture, then yes soak them in milk beforehand.

      I's supposed to be 1,5 dl which equals 150ml and that is 0,63 cup. You can always look at my conversions page if you need more conversions.

      Please let me know if you liked the scones:-)

      Delete
  2. I love scones with clotted cream and jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of scones, as a matter of fact, my sister is now in London and just ordered a couple of them.Now I should also try your reipe!! thanks a lot for sharing it!!! they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I def think you should try to bake them yourself, it's very very easy and so much yummier than bought ones. Especially since scones is something you would like to eat freshly baked. Give it a try and let me know how it did go;-)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you are enjoying your stay in England. The scones look wonderful and I would love to give them a try with oats. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What perfect looking scones! I'd love it if you posted these at my new link party - Breakfast Ideas Mondays - http://www.yummyinspirations.net/2012/04/breakfast-ideas-mondays-1-new-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna