January 16, 2012

Lemon Cake

This cake is very moist and almost a bit wet in the centre and it has lots of lemon flavour since you use the whole fruit. It can for some be slightly bitter and if you prefer less bitter taste, opt for 3 large lemons instead of 4 smaller ones. Another thing to consider is to buy lemons with thinner skin or you can reduce the amount of skin.






My cake came out a bit too bitter, so next time I make this cake, I will go for less skin and cook the lemons even longer...

I found this recipe at Eat Little Bird and she has plenty of inspiring recipes. I will be sure to visit her blog very often from now on:-)




Lemon Cake

375-400 g unwaxed-lemons (about 3 lemons)
250 g caster sugar
250 g almond meal
6 eggs
1 tsp baking-powder

Place the lemons in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to boil and then reduce to a simmer. cook the lemons for about 1- 1,5 hours, until the lemons are soft and a spoon goes through the skin very easily. Once soft, place in a bowl and let them cool down.

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Grease the cake tin, about 20 cm.

Mix the lemons in a food processor until you have a fine purée. Remove any seeds that remain.  Add sugar, almond meal, eggs and baking powder. Mix again until well combined. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hours. Insert a metal skewer in the middle of the cake and when it comes out clean, the cake is ready.

Happy Baking!


Johanna



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I'm so happy to see that you tried this recipe! I loved how you made this cake in a loaf tin. I'm sorry to hear that your cake was a bit too bitter. It's possible that the lemons were not cooked for long enough - the fruit should be very soft and break easily when you touch it with a spoon. Depending on the size of the lemons, some take longer to cook than others. Once you've made the cake once or twice, you will have an idea of what type of fruit to choose and how long to cook for :-) I hope that you, nevertheless, enjoyed the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definately have to try to bake it again, cause I really liked the juicyness and the almond taste. Next time I will cook the lemons even longer as you suggest and reduce the amount of skin and then I think this cake will be perfect for me aswell:-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna